Our knowledgebase

knowledge at your fingertips

Expats & Driving licences

If you are planning to stay long-term in the Netherlands, it is often worth exchanging your foreign driving licence for a Dutch rijbewijs. For citizens of most European countries, you can normally continue to use your licence from your home country until it expires. For most non-European expats who plan to stay for longer than six months, you will need to exchange your licence within that first six month period. See below for more specific details.